Choosing the “best” city for tours in Morocco can depend on various factors such as personal preferences, interests, and what you’re looking to experience. Morocco is a diverse and culturally rich country with many cities that offer unique attractions and experiences. Here are some popular cities in Morocco known for their tourism:
Marrakech is a vibrant and culturally rich city in Morocco, known for its stunning architecture, bustling markets, and diverse history. There are several tours and activities you can experience in and around Marrakech to make the most of your visit:
- Known for its vibrant markets (souks), historical palaces, gardens, and lively atmosphere.
- Attractions: Jardin Majorelle, Koutoubia Mosque, Bahia Palace, Djemaa el-Fna square.
Fes, often spelled as “Fez,” is another beautiful and culturally rich city in Morocco, known for its well-preserved medieval architecture, historic sites, and vibrant cultural heritage. Here are some recommended tours and activities you can explore in and around Fes:
- Home to one of the world’s oldest universities and a well-preserved medieval old town (Medina).
- Attractions: Bou Inania Madrasa, Al-Qarawiyyin Mosque, Dar Batha Museum, Medina of Fes.
Casablanca is the largest city in Morocco and a major economic and cultural hub in North Africa. It’s known for its modern architecture, vibrant nightlife, and bustling markets. Here are some popular tours and activities you can enjoy in Casablanca:
- A modern, cosmopolitan city known for its modern architecture and economic importance.
- Attractions: Hassan II Mosque, Royal Palace, Corniche Boulevard, Mohammed V Square.
Chefchaouen, often referred to as the “Blue Pearl” of Morocco, is a picturesque mountain town located in the Rif Mountains. It’s renowned for its charming blue-painted buildings, stunning natural scenery, and a relaxed, bohemian atmosphere. Here are some activities and tours you can experience in Chefchaouen:
- Famous for its picturesque blue-painted buildings and stunning mountainous landscapes.
- Attractions: The blue Medina, Ras Elma River, Spanish Mosque, hiking trails.
Essaouira is a charming coastal town in Morocco known for its beautiful medina, vibrant arts scene and historic fortifications. Here are some activities and tours you can enjoy while in Essaouira:
- A coastal city is known for its well-preserved medina, beaches, and water activities.
- Attractions: Medina of Essaouira, Skala de la Ville, Essaouira Beach, water sports.
Agadir is a popular coastal city located in southern Morocco, known for its beautiful beaches, modern resorts, and a vibrant nightlife scene. Here are some activities and tours you can enjoy in and around Agadir:
- A major coastal resort town known for its beautiful beaches and modern amenities.
- Attractions: Agadir Beach, Agadir Kasbah, Souk El Had, Valley of the Birds.
Tangier is a historic port city located at the northernmost tip of Morocco, known for its strategic location where the Mediterranean Sea meets the Atlantic Ocean. It has a rich history, a unique blend of cultures, and is a gateway between Europe and Africa. Here are some activities and tours you can enjoy in Tangier:
- A strategic port city with a unique blend of European and Moroccan influences.
- Attractions: Medina of Tangier, Kasbah Museum, American Legation, Hercules Cave.
Ouarzazate is a city located in the southeastern part of Morocco, known for its stunning desert landscapes, historic kasbahs, and its role as a prominent filming location for many movies and TV series. Here are some activities and tours you can enjoy in and around Ouarzazate:
- Visit the iconic Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou, a UNESCO World Heritage site and a prime example of southern Moroccan architecture
- Tour the Atlas Film Studios, one of the largest film studios in the world. Discover various sets where famous movies and TV.
- Explore Kasbah Taourirt, an impressive historical kasbah located in the center of Ouarzazate.
- Take a drive to Tisselday and Agdz, charming villages known for their beautiful landscapes and traditional Berber culture. Enjoy the scenic drive through the Draa Valley.
Merzouga is a small village located in southeastern Morocco, known for its spectacular Saharan sand dunes, captivating desert landscapes, and unique desert experiences. It’s a popular gateway to the Sahara Desert and offers a variety of activities and tours for visitors. Here are some things to do and explore in Merzouga:
- The towering sand dunes of Erg Chebbi are the highlight of Merzouga. Take a camel trek into the heart of the dunes to witness breathtaking views, especially at sunrise and sunset. Spending a night at a desert camp amidst the dunes is a must for a true desert experience.
- Embark on a camel trek through the dunes, guided by experienced local camel handlers. Experience the serenity of the desert and witness the changing colors of the sand as you traverse the beautiful landscape.
- Stay in a traditional desert camp, often a Berber-style tent, and immerse yourself in the desert culture. Enjoy a traditional Berber dinner, music, stargazing, and a tranquil night’s sleep under the starlit sky.
- For an adrenaline rush, go quad biking or dune bashing on the sand dunes. Experience the thrill of speeding across the desert landscape and conquering the dune
- Explore the quaint village of Merzouga and its local market. Interact with the friendly locals, purchase traditional handicrafts, and sample local cuisine.
- Visit the nearby Khamlia Village to experience Gnawa music, a traditional African spiritual and musical style. Enjoy a live performance and learn about the unique cultural heritage of the Gnawa people.
- Explore the surrounding areas on foot and discover the diverse flora and fauna of the desert. Merzouga is home to a variety of bird species, making it a great spot for birdwatching.
Morocco is a diverse and cultural country, offering a wide array of tours and experiences to cater to different interests and preferences. Here are some popular types of tours you can consider while visiting Morocco:
- Cultural Tours:
- Explore the vibrant medinas, historical sites, palaces, and museums in cities like Marrakech, Fes, and Casablanca. Immerse yourself in Moroccan culture, architecture, and traditions.
- Desert Tours:
- Experience the magical Sahara Desert with camel treks, overnight stays in desert camps, and breathtaking views of sand dunes. Popular desert destinations include Merzouga and Ouarzazate.
- Adventure Tours:
- Engage in adrenaline-pumping activities such as hiking in the Atlas Mountains, quad biking on sand dunes, and water sports in coastal cities like Essaouira, Agadir, and Tamuda Bay.
- Food and Culinary Tours:
- Discover Moroccan cuisine through cooking classes, food tours in bustling markets, and visits to local eateries. Learn to prepare traditional dishes like tagine, couscous, and Moroccan pastries.
- Historical and Architectural Tours:
- Delve into Morocco’s rich history by visiting ancient cities, kasbahs, medinas, and UNESCO World Heritage sites. Explore places like Ait Ben Haddou, Kasbah Taourirt, and the Royal Palaces.
- Berber Culture Tours:
- Immerse yourself in the Berber culture by visiting Berber villages, meeting local tribes, and learning about their customs, traditions, and way of life.
- Atlas Mountain Tours:
- Discover the beauty of the Atlas Mountains with trekking or hiking tours, which can range from day trips to multi-day excursions, allowing you to experience the stunning landscapes and Berber villages.
- Wine and Gastronomy Tours:
- Explore Morocco’s emerging wine industry and enjoy wine tastings at vineyards in regions like Meknes and the Benslimane wine region.
- Shopping Tours:
- Shop for traditional Moroccan goods at bustling souks and markets. Consider guided tours to help navigate the best spots for textiles, ceramics, spices, and handicrafts.
- Specialty Tours:
- Tailor-made tours that cater to specific interests, such as photography tours, spiritual and yoga retreats, or bird-watching expeditions in Morocco’s diverse landscapes.
- Saharan Expeditions:
- Embark on epic journeys into the Sahara Desert, exploring remote areas, meeting nomadic tribes, and experiencing the raw beauty of this vast wilderness.
Tours from Marrakech